What can I eat?

The Harcombe Diet is about eating real food and ditching fake food. You won’t be counting calories, or points, or carbs, or starving every other day, or 2 days a week. You won’t be eating less – full stop. You’ll be eating better. This short video will explain the power of not counting calories, but making the calories you eat count.

The diet is in 3 Phases:

Phase 1 is just 5 days long (although it is recommended to stay on Phase 1 for longer if you have more than 20lb to lose and/or if you have marked Candida overgrowth). You can have unlimited meat, fish, eggs, vegetables (except potatoes/mushrooms), Natural Live (bio) Yoghurt, herbs, spices and one portion of ‘safe’ grains daily (brown rice, quinoa, oats).

Phase 2 is followed for as long as you need to lose weight. Fruit, dairy products, baked potatoes and whole grains are re-introduced, as works for you (the books hold your hand through all this).

Phase 3 is the lifelong weight maintenance plan. It’s how to eat ‘off-piste’ and keep the weight off. You’ll learn the rules of ‘cheating’ and see what you can get away with without re-gain.

If you'd like to leave a comment on this blog, please do so openly and politely and no hiding behind some pseudonym. As for spam, well that's just another word for junk and it will end up in the bin, where it belongs.

Website Comments

1. avatar Jo

Hi
    On phase 1 can you suggest anything to put into the live yoghurt to make it taste any better. Hate the taste in its own, thankyou

2. avatar Les Smith

I don’t understand why I can have jacket potatoes but not boiled new potatoes in their skins?

3. avatar Emma

Hi Andy, is it ok to have oatly with my porridge? It’s ingredients list is oat base (water, oats 10%), sea salt.

4. avatar Zhac

Is possible to have brown black rice (50g) during phase I ? I read brown rice but iwas used to tha black kind, is it the same?

5. avatar Karin Wightman

Hi. Can I have home produced honey in phase 1? For things like porridge or yogurt? Also, can I add seeds & nuts?
    Thanks

6. avatar Sarah

Hi, I’m just starting phase 2, what cream am I allowed to eat please ? Also please can I have some of the cards, thankyou

• avatar Andy

Full fat dairy cream is delicious and fine (as long as you’re not dairy intolerant).
      If you drop me an email to clubadmin at theharcombedietclub dotcom with your address, I’ll pop cards some in the post for you.

7. avatar Omid

Hello,

In what phase can I have pickled veggies? (Pickles) also, can I have olives in all phases?

TIA

8. avatar Kaz

Hi im a vegetarian and will this still work well for me but the only fish i like is roe and tuna

• avatar Andy

Hi Kaz, many vegetarians have followed the diet with great success. Having fish increases your meal options too.

9. avatar Amanda

Hi, I started phase 1 yesterday – so far so good!! Should I be cooking using oil or dry frying? Also should the live bio yoghurt be low fat or full fat and can I eat this at any time in the day? Don’t want to ruin my weight losses by using oil and full fat yoghurt if it should be the opposite. Thank you

• avatar Andy

Hiya!
      you can use oils or butter in small amounts for cooking.
      Go for the full-fat on Ph1 as it’s far more satiating. Stick to having it at mealtimes.

10. avatar Margaret

I have been on this diet for 5 months and lost 2 stones. My cholesterol has gone up to 7 from 5. My doctor as advised me to come off the diet because. I really don’t want to do that because it’s the only diet that I am not hungry on and feel that I could stick to this diet.

11. avatar Rachel

Can you eat seaweed in phase 2?
    I don’t usually eat it I thought it might be nice with the chilli I made from the recipe book

12. avatar andy

I Have a physical job and I exercise every other day . What foods can I eat after exercise on this diet.

• avatar Andy

Eat according the the phase that you are following and enough to satiate you appetite. Wait a while after exercising and you may find that your hunger diminishes.

13. avatar S. Russell

Do I weigh safe grains in Phase Two…. re-reading and cant seem to see answer…maybe I am missing?! Thanks!

14. avatar Faye

Which book do you recommend to get started with the diet. Do they all come with some basic recipes to help start me off?

15. avatar Mairead Crosby

Hi, I started phase 1 yesterday and just wondering whats best to put in scrambled eggs and a omelette when u can’t have milk?

Thanks

• avatar Andy

I just use eggs, scrambled with a bit of butter. No need to ‘thin’ with milk or anything else.

16. avatar Hannah smith

Hi
    Just wondering if i can have kefir instead of or aswell as plain yoghurt?

17. avatar Jayne

Hi,
    New to this and as I am gluten and dairy intolerant I am wondering if this diet will cater for me with recipies that take the intolerances into account?
    Thanks,
    Jayne

• avatar Andy

Phase 1 caters well for intolerances (no gluten or dairy) and many recipes in all recipe books cater for both intolerances.

18. avatar Cheron Stevenson

Hi Andy
    I seem to remember reading something about leaving so many hours between eating a carb meal and a fat meal, but can’t remember where? Please can you advise me?
    Many thanks

• avatar Andy

4 hours – That would be explained in Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight.

• avatar Andy

Never tried it for cooking. I understand that it has a low flash-point, so low-temp frying only.

POST A COMMENT.

Let us know you're human by answering this question * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.