Liver is another one of nature’s superfoods but many people unfortunately find the texture unpalatable. Pate, therefore, is a great way to get healthy liver into your diet in a delicious dish.
This is a basic recipe which can easily be adapted to suit your own tastes. You can experiment with different kinds of liver – pork, calves, chicken; adding additional ingredients – mushrooms, peppers, orange/lemon peel and changing the balance of ingredients.
Once made, the pate should keep for a week in a cold fridge and you can eat it as a snack (delicious on celery), with a salad and one recent guest even had it for breakfast with their bacon and egg!
1 Large onion, chopped
500g lambs liver, chopped .
2 Bacon rashers, chopped.
Butter for cooking.
Salt & Pepper – plenty.
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1) Heat the butter in a frying pan and lightly fry the onion. Set is aside.
2) Fry the liver & bacon in this pan until browned.
3) Return the onions to the pan and stir well together. Add the salt & pepper and ½ the herbs.
4) Put the mixture in a mixing bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
5) Add the cream and hand blend until the substance forms a coarse paste.
6) Place the pate in small pots, or one serving dish, as desired.
7) Add a knob of butter to the frying pan and the rest of the herbs. Melt and pour on top of the pate for an authentic and delicious finish.