Thanks again to Katy over at weight loss holidays for this simple, quick and satisfying recipe.
Once you’ve prepared the marinade, it just takes 10 minutes to quickly stir fry some vegetables and toss in the meat/tofu.
For the marinade
1-teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons strong Tamari soy sauce
2-½ teaspoons chili puree (or a couple of fresh chilies finely chopped)
1-tablespoon cider vinegar (optional – phase 2 only).
1-tablespoon dry white wine (optional – phase 2 only).
500g-700g cooked meat or poultry cut into bite size strips (next time you have a roast or casserole, just cook too much) or a pack or two of tofu cut into cubes.
For the stir fry
A selection of vegetables of your choice for example: White or green cabbage, shredded Several carrots washed and cut into thin sticks. A raw beetroot washed and grated (really good) Red/orange/green pepper thinly sliced Courgette thinly sliced Some cauliflower or broccoli florets Mange tout peas 4 cloves garlic, crushed A thumb of ginger grated (freeze it first and it grates really easily – skin and all)
Olive oil for frying
For 4 people
1. Stir together all the marinade ingredients, add the meat/poultry/tofu, stir gently and taste (if using tofu or cooked meat/poultry) and adjust as necessary. Leave for a few hours, or ideally overnight, in the fridge or even better freeze and defrost when you need it (gets much more poke!). Leave out or increase the chili depending how hot you like it.
2. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a wok or large pan. Stir-fry the vegetables for 5 – 10 minutes until they are as you like them. Add the garlic and ginger a minute before they are ready.
3. Meanwhile if using raw meat fry in a different pan in a little olive oil until cooked pouring any left over marinade onto your vegetables.
4. Add the marinated meat/poultry/tofu to your vegetables and cook together for a few minutes until everything is hot, pouring any left over marinade over the vegetables. If there is not much liquid add a splash of water.
5. This is so delicious you will probably not want rice – just add more vegetables to your stir-fry.